Saturday, December 20, 2008

Missed Chance

Five days passed between Noah's death and his memorial service. I don't remember much of that time. I was still in shock and just too tired. It all feels like a dream, excluding a few parts. Noah passed early on Sunday morning. Someone got us to sign off on an autopsy so his body was sent to a town a few hours away. I really try not to think to much of this because it makes me sick now when I think about it. They had to take him elsewhere in order to do the genetic testing. At the time, I thought I wanted this. I so desperately wanted to know what caused all of Noah's problems. In the end, the testing wasn't done because the cells didn't grow that they needed. So I guess we will never really know.

Two years ago tonight, I visited the funeral home for the last time. Noah had been brought back. The director asked if I wanted to see him before he was cremated. My insides were screaming yes and my mind said no. I told him no. What kind of mother am I to not want to see her baby again? I was just so afraid that I wouldn't be able to leave. Leaving the hospital was the hardest thing I have ever done. I didn't have the strength to leave my baby one more time. I regret that decision now. I think I was afraid to know what he would look like following the autopsy. I was scared. I would give anything now to have seen him one more time. A chance to see his angelic face, his long, delicate fingers, and those bow lips. I know he wouldn't have looked like my Noah, but it would have been a chance. I have always had issues with viewings at funeral. The image sticks with me and I see that when I think of the person. I want to remember him alive. I guess I am still torn on the matter.

Noah was cremated that night. My stomach turns when I think about it. I know it is just a shell, but that was my baby. They asked if we wanted his clothes and his blanket back. I remember thinking that he needed his clothes so I asked that he be wearing his striped sleeper. Why did he need clothes? I was just so irrational at the time. I will admit, I found that same sleeper on ebay and impulsively bought it one day. When it arrived, I realized I was simply reaching for something to remind me of him. I did ask for his blanket back. I wanted something to hold. I wanted to smell his sweet smell. When they returned it, I buried my face in the blanket only to be met with the smell of smoke. Cigarette smoke. I just collapsed and cried. My last chance to inhale him and some asshole had to take his smoke break around my lifeless son. I know it is just a blanket, but that feeling was devastating. I desperately needed something to hold onto that was his. When we returned home, my mother in law washed it in the baby detergent and returned it to me. Sometimes, I still sleep with that blanket. I just hold it and remember my boy wrapped up.

The decision of whether or not to see Noah one last time still haunts me. I did what I felt I had the strength for at the time, but I missed my last chance to see him. I may always regret that choice, but I guess I must forgive myself. He wasn't actually there anyway. Just a shell, not his soul.

2 comments:

Rachel Inbar said...

I have been reading for a long time, but I don't think I ever commented.

Your pain sounds so intense... Your decision not to see Noah that one last time makes so much sense to me - to give yourself the best chance to remember your son the way he was when he was alive.

This will probably sound ridiculous, but I would like to recommend you do a healing ceremony for yourself, in which you choose a picture of Noah and imagine that it is the way he looked that last time, when you didn't actually see him. Say all the things you wanted to say. Cry... and then, from that time on, that will be the picture you remember seeing the last time you saw him, when you had a chance to say your very last goodbye to his body.

I did something similar after a late miscarriage and it made an enormous difference. I gave myself the chance to say goodbye in the way I would have liked to but couldn't.

Wishing you only the very best. Take care of yourself :-)

Rachel

Sue said...

I struggled with whether or not to "say goodbye" to my lifeless sons. In the end, I decided against it, as I didn't believe their bodies contained who they *were.* Just as "visiting" my mother at the cemetery gives me no comfort.

It still bothers me sometimes, but I think I've reconciled this.

I'm sorry someone ruined Noah's blanket. People just don't think.