We came home last night after the longest day I can remember in a very long time. They placed a PICC line in Monkey's arm yesterday. It took 3 long agonizing hours and it is still not placed exactly where it is supposed to be. They thread the catheter up his arm into the vessels that go to the heart. When they threaded it it went up his neck instead. So after several attempts they left it where the vessels branch to go to the heart and neck. They swear this is ok. I guess I have to believe them.
They gave Monkey Demoral before, but it wore off about an hour before they were done. They numbed his arm, but I could hear his cries as he was papoosed so he would not moved. 3 hours. He is a baby. I can only imagine how scared he was. I am so sorry he had to endure that.
Now that we have the line, we will go the hospital once a day to received antibiotics, steroids, and so the line can be flushed with heparin. This will last for 10 days and then they will decide whether the line will stay until after his surgery.
I am glad to be home and sleeping in my own bed. Monkey is like a wild child from the steroids. Looking at him, you can't tell he is sick. He was so excited to be home he just ran from one toy to another. He finally crawled in my bed and fell asleep watching his new all time favorite, Cinderella. Funny. He loves the mice. It is so good to be home!
Wednesday, November 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





1 comment:
I don't even know what to say anymore. You are the strongest mother in the face of adversity I have ever known.
Bear had to have surger the day after her first birthday. I couldn't even go in the sedation room with her. It was too hard to watch them put her out. I peeked through the rectangular window, cowardly I know. But she looked...well..you know. It was too much.
Always thinking of you two ...xoxo
Post a Comment