Monkey: "Hi, Bubba".
Me: "Yes, this is Bubba".
Monkey: Begins blowing kisses to Noah's headstone...
Me: Choking back the tears the are going to break through. "That is so nice of you to blow Bubba kisses. They are floating up to him in heaven. He sends you his love also. He visits you in your dreams each night and gives you kisses while you sleep".
Monkey: "Love you Bubba".
Me: There is no stopping the tears...
Monkey: "Bubba, Bye, Bye"?
Me: "Noah is bye, bye. He is up in heaven watching over us".
Monkey: "Bye, Bye Bubba".
Me: Sobbing like a baby..
My two year old child gets it. He knows his brother and freely shows his love. I want him to know his dear brother, but to never hurt. I know that I cannot stop the hurt that may one day surface, but I want to always reassure him that it is not his fault and that Noah is always in our hearts. They are kindred spirits whether together or apart. Nothing can break the bond of brothers, especially twin brothers. I am pretty sure my heart was full of pride and broken all at once watching Monkey show his love. It is so unfair that they will never play together and grow up best friends.

The Turtle and The Monkey
Thanksgiving 2006





1 comment:
I'm bawling too. I know that simulteanous feeling of bittersweet love and heartbreak.
He will have more questions, someday, when he arrives at a congnitive place (with my girls it was about 5) - but for now just let him love his brother and feel it freely!
Post a Comment