Shopping with Monkey is always an interesting experience. He is far from the typical kid screaming for a toy.
We went to Lowe's and looked at the Christmas stuff. The oohs and aahs were priceless as he saw an inflatable Mickey Mouse. It was almost cute enough to convince me to buy into tacky Christmas crap. I hate that stuff (no offense to those who love their inflatables), it is just not my thing. Monkey is in love with Mickey and has been since he was about 9 months old. I showed him a stuffed Mickey whose ears moved when he sang. Monkey hugged and gave it a kiss. I asked him if he wanted it and he in his usual way said no and pushed it away. He always does that. You show him a toy, he gets excited, you ask if he wants it and he says no.
We kept looking and he was extremely interested in a plastic Mickey snow globe. It is not even a real snow globe with water, but one with the fake stuff that spins around when you push the button. He played with it all through the store so I spent the $10 and bought it for him. My sweet boy looked at me with those huge brown eyes and said "Thank you Mama" over and over again. A two year old who is truly appreciative. He really amazes me. If he keeps that up, I will buy him whatever he wants. He melts me with that sweet, pouty look and the thank yous. In that moment, I decided that I would drag out all of the Christmas decorations for him. I had decided earlier that I wouldn't. I just didn't think I had the energy to face another holiday right now. Christmas is just a time of sorrow and hurt for me, but Monkey reminded me that sometimes the joy of the season is about a cheap, plastic Mickey snow globe and the wonder of a baby discovering this holiday for the very first time.
Monday, November 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





2 comments:
I think that my two (subsequent) children's joy has brought Christmas back to our home. It is magical, and could we really deprive them of it? Their innocence is so calming and beautiful...
That is a lovely story! Truly grateful children in this commerical world are hard to come by. Hold tight to that, little Monkey!
Christmas for us is really marked by shopping for Emma's ornamtent that year. Now that my other two girls are a little older they love to help and I love to see how they picture their sister. "Oh- that's too frilly" or "No. It needs to me more like a ballerina"
Post a Comment