Thursday, November 6, 2008

He's okay, sort of...

The cardiologist appointment was a nightmare. He cried so hard that he was making himself sick and that was just about getting weighed. I told my husband that I didn't want his help. I may have been a little wrong in that. Monkey was a mess. We waited an hour and a half for the doctor and that is no small feat because our appointment was during lunch and the beginning of his usual nap time. I finally got him busy eating cheese its long enough for the doctor to listen to his heart. The good news is the murmur that our pediatrician heard is innocent. No further action required. The bad news is that she heard a second murmur and is not totally sure it is nothing. She thinks it could be the PDA he had at birth. There is no way to know without doing an echo cardiogram. The catch is that they have to sedate him to do the test and she doesn't want that. She told me that even if it is a PDA, they will not treat it until it causes symptoms. So we wait. In 6 months to a year, they will do the test when he will tolerate it without crying and freaking out. I think I would rather just do it now. I suck at waiting. I am trying not to worry to much. I looked it up on and found that at this age, if it were a large PDA, he would need a heart catheritazion to fix it. That is scary to me.



Monkey is still sick. He didn't fall asleep until 3 a.m. this morning. He could not stop coughing, which would lead to crying, and then the whole process started over again. He screamed for over two hours. I tried putting him in bed with me, the recliner, and his own bed, but nothing made him happy. He finally just cried himself to sleep. I feel like a terrible mother. I know I can't make him feel better, but as his Mom I want to fix it. We go back to the doctor today. I hope they have something else to give him to help so he can sleep (he needs it and I may need it more). Poor kid always has something.



Let's hope for new medicine (and sleep).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is so scary having to wait. We are going through something similar and I have to say that having already lost a little life makes it so much harder to wait.
I hope he feels a little better today and you get some rest.

Cara said...

Ugh - I feel a gut rotation for you. The lack of sleep, the worry about what if and waiting to find out, the separation from your husband...what else?

Seriously, I just want to hop a plane and come sit with you for a few days...or maybe I'd sit with Monkey in the night so you could sleep. I do love singing to little ones as we rock.

Thinking of you!!! xoxo

The Turtle and the Monkey said...

Thank you for your kind words...I appreciate the support.