Tuesday, September 30, 2008

More


Today was our first official EI visit. The visit was fun for Monkey as the Early Childhood Teacher brought lots of fun toys. Monkey had to work for each and every toy. She brought a peg board for Monkey to place plastic pegs in (fine motor skills). In order for him to get another peg, he had to attempt to say "more" or sign it. I am pretty sure he can say it, but he may have gotten his stubborn streak from his mother. He refused. She would move his hand to sign it and then give him the peg. She would then try again to get him to do it. The closest we got was "Mmmm". It's a start.


This evening, Monkey wanted a cookie. I broke it into pieces and showed him the sign for more. I asked him to say more, expecting him to ignore me or whine instead. Sure enough, he just said "more". Apparently, we weren't using the right motivational tools. Lose the pegs, bring out the cookies. I am going to mark this up as a victory. I will have many more. I just have to think like Monkey.


Hopefully, we will get Monkey's test results back in a couple of days. Usually, I have some type of gut instinct on these things, but I got nothing on this one. I am trying not to worry, but it seems only bad things happen to us. It is hard not to imagine the worst. Thank you for all of your good thoughts. I appreciate them more than you know.


No comments: