Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Please let it be nothing...

So the answer to my question of whether parenting gets easier was answered with a screaming NO today. I took Monkey for his two year check armed with questions about reflux, allergies, and ear tubes. All pretty common childhood things (ok, reflux at 2 may not be normal, but easily dealt with). We are talking and our pediatrician casually mentions a murmur when listening to Monkey's heart. The I hear the words "see a cardiologist when he comes to town in two weeks". What?? I am still back on murmur. I think I caught on just as the MAC truck hit me. No more. Please God (I am sorry for all of the terrible things I have said in the last two years), please no more of this. Not Monkey. Our Ped then tells me that he needs a EKG and chest x-ray tomorrow. What?? We came in for a well check, not a day of hell at the local hospital. Did I mention that Monkey has an irrational fear of all health care settings? All he knows is shots (Synagis) and terrible hospital stays for the flu and croup. He falls apart just driving into the parking garage of the hospital. This will not be good. To top it off, his Mama is getting ready to hyperventilate thinking about what could be wrong. The doctor said it could be nothing, but he wanted to check. He also said it could be from the PDA at birth. That confuses me. I thought that closed on its own and was gone. No one has mentioned any murmur to me since he was two weeks old. I know I was distracted with Noah, but I am pretty sure I would have picked up on a heart problem. I am scared! I don't know how to stay strong for him. I can't be sick with fear. I have to put on the happy Mama face so he is not afraid. What if something is wrong? Why do these things keep happening? Please make it all be ok. Dear God, please protect my baby. I am on my knees. Please.

2 comments:

Tash said...

Woah. I'm so sorry. I know the standard line is don't worry until you have something to worry about and they're just checking to be safe, but we all know that falls on pretty deaf ears in these parts. That sounds like a license to freak out, to me.

Hang tight. Thinking of you. Please post when you know something.

Cara said...

Oh I pray for you and for Monkey that IS nothing!

Everyone has their "neuroses". For some it is car seat safety, for some it is the fear of their child being abducted, and for me (and apparently you) it is "medical stuff". When Bear came a few years after Emma's death I pictured medical perfection. That is NOT what we got. She's doing fine, but it was quite a road and for the record...she saw me fall apart (yes CRY) many times.

Hang in there!