I haven't had much to say lately. I'm here on auto pilot. I am trying to not to think about my current situation so much. Maybe I a just avoiding the inevitable or I just think that maybe more time can heal. Whichever I am still here waiting on my best friend and partner.
___________________________________________________
We had an EI appointment today. At times, I feel that I must truly live in the middle of nowhere. I don't really, but our EI people seem so far behind those that I read about. It is frustrating to only have a few visits each month and no one is really offering any meaningful exercises to help with feeding and speech problems. It just doesn't seem right. I understand that there are kids with much more severe problems than Monkey. I know those other parents desperately want these resources for their babies (I was one of the them with Noah). I now stand on the other side. Now I stand with the child that is slightly delayed, but not receiving all the services he could because there is a lack of funding.
They went over his sensory profile today. His deficits contradict each other. That doesn't make sense. Either way, I don't think it matters. I know what his weakness are. I just need some help in addressing them. Monkey has a hard time holding his attention on a activity that he didn't initiate. That makes our visits difficult. I learned today that he needs a physical activity before a sit down one. Shouldn't the EI have figured that out first? I really don't know that these visits will help. They bring puzzles each time or picture books. We do these things on a regular basis. What else should they be doing? He can do the puzzle. They lose his attention because he is bored with their activities. I am looking for things to help develop his muscles so he can eat and speak more easily. I know that words are there. He just really struggles to get them out.
_________________________________________________
So Halloween?? Monkey may be a Monkey or a Skunk. Honestly, he doesn't want anything to do with any costumes, so he may just be himself. That is ok. I am not such a big fan of the holiday anyway. We are taking my nieces and nephew trick or treating. It should be fun. I am putting away the fact that it is another holiday that Monkey's Dad won't be spending with us because he is uncomfortable. Oh well...
Thursday, October 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





1 comment:
You are dealing with so much right now! How are Monkey's fine motor skills? Have you tried some American Sign Language? It would give him a way to communicate without becoming frustrated, at least for the moment.
Bear was delayed too and we faught for early intervention. It has made all the difference! I pray that you are heard and get what you need for your son. You deserve it!
Post a Comment