Saturday, October 18, 2008

Coming Home...

Two years ago today, we brought Noah home from the hospital. We loaded him up, hugged our beloved nurses goodbye, and we made the 2 mile drive to our home. It was terrifying and thrilling all at once. I had to figure out the car bed and how to position him just so. There were no monitors, oxygen, or tubes. Just Noah in his modified car seat and our instructions to care for him. Like that could be written on two sheets of discharge paperwork. That is almost funny when I think about it now. We spent a month learning to care for him and they gave us two pages of instructions.


Our families were waiting with Monkey when we returned. I remember standing there holding Monkey and my husband holding Noah. We just looked at each other like "now what?". It was a little anticlimatic, I think we thought fireworks should shoot off or something. It felt like the greatest accomplishment of our lives and we were just standing there.



This was the beginning of the scariest and most wonderful two months of my life. Bringing Noah home allowed us to discover what he liked, disliked, and to begin to care for him without all of the nurses watching. It is nerve racking when someone is always telling you how to do it. They make you feel like you are going to break him. We discovered that he loved his jungle and to sleep on your chest. His sats were best when sleeping on us. We were very creative in giving him a normal experience. We put him with Monkey to play even though he couldn't move well. He love being with his brother. We read him books and gave him plenty of things to look at.



I wish I could go back two years and relive this time. This was the best time with Noah. I miss him so much.

3 comments:

Cara said...

This is so beautiful. I love seeing your boys together. Motherhood is all about those hidden knowns that only we get to have. I remember so many times during infancies in this house, my DH turning to me and saying, "how did you know that?" and I, looking as baffled as he responded "I don't know...I just did."

I with you could go back too. I'm so thankful you chose to share these memories with us. You are a wonderful mother, to both your boys.

Sue said...

Thank you for sharing this. I'm glad that you got to have private family time with your little Noah, and that he got to spend time with his brother.

He was very lucky to have you for a mother.

Antigone said...

I, too, am glad that you had that time together at home.