I saw it as I was leaving work today. The black smoke trailing in a thin line up into the sky. I do my best everyday not to take that street. I can't drive by it. Thinking about it makes me sick. Seeing that smoke and realization of what it was made me come undone.
As I looked, all I could see was his face the last time I held him in the hospital before the man from the mortuary took him away. I remember burying my face in his neck trying to inhale his sweet smell one last time. Then all I could see was fire and him. What the hell was I thinking? It wasn't a choice. No mother should choose how her child will be laid to rest. I never really considered the process. I don't think my mind could wrap around it at the time.
I watched the smoke and thought about how that was someone else's loved one. With a few tears and a silent prayer, I drove by trying desperately to conjure up some other image of my sweet Noah.
Monday, September 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





7 comments:
These are the decisions no one prepares you for.
Thinking of you and your boys.
thinking of you. Hang in.
I try not to think about it either. It is too unbearable.
I hope you managed to hang on to another memory of your beautiful little Noah. xo
Janis once wrote a lovely post about how ashes and dust never really go anywhere; they just hang around the universe. I cling to that when I get down -- the idea that my child is truly everywhere.
Hang tough.
My heart breaks for you. I am so sorry
I don't know what I was thinking of either, when I signed those release forms to donate our baby Jessica's body "to science" (i.e. to the local medical school). I guess I was hoping against hope that her death would allow someone to learn something...
My deepest sympathies go out to you - you are not alone.
No one tells you the ins and outs of how to bury a child... I remember Peter telling me afterwards that he made sure their bones werent broken. I had no clue what he was talking about until I saw something on the History Channel about cremation. And then I knew. And I knew that I would have bought the bigger urn to make sure that what we had left would be intact too... But it's not what you ever want to think about, not what you ever think you will think about...
Post a Comment