Monday, July 21, 2008

Lost

When our children die, why do we say we lost them? The girl at the gym asked me today if Monkey was my first child. As usual, I hesitated before answering. I am so careful of how I answer that question. I told her that actually he is a twin and we lost his brother at 3 months. Lost? Why do I keep saying that? Is it really better for others to hear I lost him instead of that he died or is it that it makes me feel better? I find myself saying Noah died. He is dead. Maybe, I am trying to really believe that this separation is permanent. That he is really a box of ashes that I buried in the cemetery (that is a whole other issue for another day). Does that reality that you held your baby while he took his last breaths ever sink in? I think denial is my defense mechanism these days. I feel so guilty, but sometimes I don't think of him as often. Not because it doesn't occur to me, but because I shove it down. I am so afraid that I am going to fall apart. I miss my baby. I want to hold him in these aching arms. I wish he was lost. Then I could find my sweet Noah.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Hi,

I just found your blog and I want to tell you how sorry I am to read of your sweet beautiful Noah. The rest of the things you're dealing with are so challenging too. Hang in there.

I share your thoughts about "lost" babies. I've started saying "died" as well. For me, I think it's a revolt against the comfort of others. I like startling people with "My baby died" rather than "I lost my baby"; it makes my intense pain a little more validated, if that makes any sense.

I'm not as far into this journey as you are, but I don't think I'll ever accept that I held my baby while she died.

Anonymous said...

Oh how I wish i could take this away from you.

I am so sorry.

I don't want to give you any advice or tell you things will get better. I just want you to know that what you are going through, these raw emotions are normal. I am two years ahead of you on this journey and i can remember feeling all of the same things.

Sometimes I still do.

I think you never accept it, that your baby has died but you settle with it. You learn to live with that feeling that someone is missing. Always.