Monday, August 1, 2011

Answers

No more pokies right?

So I took Monkey to a new immunologist last week. Poor kid laid like a champ to get poked 49 times during allergy testing. He barely cried and tried so hard to be brave. I felt his fear and pain. I get trying to put on your game face when you are scared to death. He is awesome.

Today was the day for the more blood work. One vial of blood is all we needed and as usual, he was a trooper. Stuck his arm out there like he was daring her to poke him. That is so my boy.

They are running something called a MLB Pathway test. It checks to see if his complement system is working. Basically, it will show if his body reacts to infection and fights it off. I can tell you without a blood test that his body does none of the above. If we get an answer and it isn't working, I guess I get an answer as to why he is always so sick, but the part that sucks is that there isn't much to about it. Treatment is what we already do. Can anyone say antibiotics? My fear is some day that antibiotics won't work anymore. Then what?

I secretly keep hoping that they would find something that we can treat. Something we can do something about. It's not that I want my child to have something wrong with him, but to have a plan and a way to make him better and keep him well would be something.

Nothing to do now, but wait.

2 comments:

Jen Nickel said...

Did you get an answer? Praying for you both.

Val said...

Glad I surfed back by - I pulled this little factoid out in my research:
"Patients with abnormal levels of MBL may have recurring significant infections even in the absence of abnormalities in the four major arms of the immune system"

Tell ya something you don't already know, huh? Hopefully by this time you have some answers.

I'm sorry I don't have more to offer - keep Monkey fully vaccinated, do as much as you can to model good nutrition for him (after years of following a "Do as I SAY not as I DO" policy, I am finally starting to set a better example for my boy!)...

Best of luck to you