I took Monkey yesterday for his follow up labs. Two weeks. That is how long it will take to find out whether we are okay or have signed up for a whole new fight. Monkey has been fighting infection after infection since Christmas. Nothing severe, but they never go away either. We saw a new immunologist in February and after my pleads for more testing, she ran his antibody levels again.
Last year, Monkey was fully vaccinated and responded well to Pneumovax. When we ran the labs in February, he only had sufficient antibodies to 3 of 14 titers. Monkey received another Pneumovax shot (which was totally miserable). We waited the 4 weeks and had the labs drawn again. As we wait, he has green goop coming from his eyes and nose. What is so frustrating is that we just finished the stronger antibiotic less than a week ago. That was the 8th antibiotic since Christmas.
If he doesn't respond, we know that his immune system is not working and it explains the infections. It also means the possibility of monthly IVIG infusions and more sickness. If he does respond, his immune system does work and we begin the whole cycle of infections and testing all over again. I am worried he will respond and then it will take another year to find out if he maintains the antibody levels. If he doesn't keep them, I don't really know what happens then.
I haven't really considered the option that his levels will be good and that the infections will stop. It has been over two years since this struggle began and I just can't see it ending that easily. It has taken over my life and filled me with worry and fear for my son. I have held him too many times as he has endured the needle sticks, PICC lines, and scans. So many tears have been shed by him and I. I hope and pray that the news is good. For now, I just wait.
Friday, April 23, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





3 comments:
Yuck. Crossing my fingers, hoping for good news on Noah's tests. Nothing is worse than your sick child! hang in there.
Hoping you've found some answers.
Been checking in for months and hoping things are ok - thought i would finally leave you a comment saying so.
Post a Comment