I wish I had more time to write. Purging my thoughts seems to help me focus. When I get it out, I can sleep and shut off the running commentary in my head. To say the least, life is a little overwhelming right now.
Monkey has been sick since before Thanksgiving. It started as a cough and landed us in the hospital the week before Christmas. We treated it as a sinus infection to begin with. We figured it was just another round of the usual. For a week, it bothered me that he didn't seem better even with the antibiotics. My daycare called one day after Monkey's nap and said he just didn't look right. I took him straight to our pediatrician and I knew on the way that we just got us a trip to the local hospital. Sure enough, he had pneumonia in one lung and after three days of steroids and antibiotics, he still had a raging sinus infection. Monkey had a follow up CT last Friday and after a month of antibiotics, he STILL has an infection. When the nurse called with the results, I just cried. I am so frustrated. It is NOT normal to keep an infection after being treated for that long. He is beginning to ooze something, so I guess it is time for the stronger meds the doctor suggested. I will call tomorrow and hope his little tummy can take the meds.
I have been researching immune deficiencies online. There is so much info and Monkey seems to fit the description of a selective immune deficiency. Monkey has an appointment with a new immunologist next month. I hate waiting. He could really get sick in the next month. I am guessing we will keep him on an antibiotic until we go. I know it sounds wrong, but I kind of hope they find something. I am ready for a game plan and some other way to treat him. This is the third winter of this. I am tired of the same routine. We do the test, get the Pneumovax shot, and we wait. Well, we have had two shots and it is still the same. Monkey can't get anymore shots, so it is time to really find out why he can't maintain his antibodies. I am scared to know, but I don't want him to have to be sick all of the time. It broke my heart to watch him lay in the CT machine and not even shed a tear. He was brave and damn it, he shouldn't have to be. He is 4. He should be happy and full of energy, not tired and sick.
Sunday, January 16, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





4 comments:
holding you guys in my heart.
So sorry to hear that Monkey has been sick. I really hope that the doctors can get to the bottom of the problem and provide you with some reassurance. xo
I wish I had some useful advice, but it sounds like you're following the necessary steps...
It's terrible when your baby is sick & there doesn't seem to be a damn thing you can do about it.
I check in here every now and then to see how you are. I'm sorry that Monkey is sick again. You're smart to keep writing. I really admire you - you're a great mom.
Take care,
Dorothea
Post a Comment