I can't sleep.
My brain won't stop. I just replay all that has happened over and over again. How do I shut it off and just accept that this is my life now? How do I let go of the anger that is eating me from the inside out? How do I feel whole and when I am so lonely and broken?
I hate the holidays. They are just a reminder of my dead son and broken family. I feel like an ungrateful bitch. I know people have it worse. I have a good extended family, a few loyal, wonderful friends, and two beautiful sons. Can't that be enough? Instead I just feel like I am missing something. I can't feel the void no matter how hard I try.
The truth is that I am ashamed. I want and need help, but I don't know how to ask for it. When I was in college I totally freaked out and started having panic attacks. I was overwhelmed and didn't know how to handle it all. I look back and almost find it funny that me trying to be perfect and good enough kind of started all of this. I couldn't explain to my 18 year old friends why I didn't love college like they did. I turned into a recluse of sorts. I was so ashamed and felt so abandoned that I really never tried to put myself back out there in the ranks of them. M stood by me and I felt it was okay if I had him. Over the years I made a few close friends that I really let get to know me, but I still felt that I didn't need a lot of people as long as I had my family. It's funny that M stood by me then, but he always made me feel not good enough. He always held the anxiety issues over my head. In hind sight, he was a jerk. I fought through all those issues to finish school and do what I needed to do. I know I am a control freak and perfectionist, but that is who I am.
After the boys were born, I couldn't stand the look people gave when they heard about Noah. I perfected saying all was ok. I would smile and make small talk. After he died, I just didn't want to talk to anyone. It was too hard and dam it, what the hell did they know? They all had their perfect families. When M left, I didn't tell anyone, but my Mom for months. I was so ashamed of what my perfect dream had become. I still am. I wanted forever with my perfect house and perfect kids. Now I don't even know what perfect is. Why am I so ashamed? I didn't abandon my family and do the horrible things that M did. I sometimes think if we just moved far enough away, I could escape it all. All he taught me is that everyone leaves and I should trust no one. That is a shitty way to live.
I guess if you are told how terrible you are long enough you begin to believe it. I must have been a terrible wife to deserve all he has done. I have build a wall around me and I don't let anyone in. The one person, who was nice to me and tried to have a relationship with me, I pushed away. What if he was just a liar who would turn on me? M made me insecure about every aspect of my life. I hate him for having so much power over me. I don't want to be alone forever but I don't know how to open myself up to dating. If I can't stand me, how will someone else ever love me? Sometimes I think of asking him out. Maybe dinner or something simple, but I think he got tired of trying and I am too afraid of making a mistake or being rejected. I don't blame him cause he tried harder than I ever would have. I just can't see what my life could become if I opened myself up.
I have been trying to lower my expectations. This single parenting thing is overwhelming. I am so afraid of failing. There is never enough time, energy, or money to get anything done. There are some days that I just want to crawl under the covers and cry. I need to fall apart so I can move on. I am afraid that if I really let go that I won't be able to get back up and keep trudging on. It's like I am swimming through thick mud. I never get ahead yet I just keep going. I am exhausted and feel like I am failing no matter what I do. I have these ideas of taking a class or just getting out with the girls, but it means being away from Monkey even more than I am now and spending precious money that I should be saving for him. That just leads to the guilt that swallows me most days. I just don't know how to do it all by myself. I want more than this. I want to feel free and happy. I want to look forward to a new day, not just figure out how to survive it.
I am sorry for the pity party. I know it is pathetic and I should buck up and deal. I am just so freaking tired of having to hide how I feel or how alone I am. I want to feel good about me for just once. I want to be proud of the life I have now, not the joke of one I had before or the one I am too afraid to dream about in the future. I just want to feel loved and okay with who I am regardless of how it all ends up. I get one life. I am tired of wasting this one being afraid and so alone. I know I just need to take one step in a different direction to change things I just don't know which way to go...
Sunday, November 21, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





3 comments:
I think you have had a very, very difficult few years. Years which would make most bow their heads and scream for it to be over. I won't insult you with platitidues, but I will tell you that I am listening, that you deserve, that you are entitled to break free of the mould you have put yourself in.
I think you are past, this situation is passed buck up and deal. This isn't an ordinary bad day. I think that you are entitled to a professional who can help you sort this out and I very earnestly hope and pray you find one.
WOW... I feel as though I could have written this all myself. I hope I'm not insulting you by saying that I know EXACTLY where you're coming from!
I know I got myself some free therapy through a clinical trial, a study of managing depression through cognitive behavioral therapy that I signed up for 3 yrs ago (they are still following me @ 6 mon intervals although I am currently in the nontreatment bunch). Maybe there is a nearby med school or univ research ctr?
Best wishes,
Val
YOU. DIDN'T. DESERVE. THIS. You didnt deserve any of it. I dont know why... I wish I had, not just a reason (because, let's face it, a reason wouldnt be good enough), but a fix. Something to make it all different. Something that made your sons full term and healthy and, most of all, with you on this earth. It breaks my heart that you have not only had to lose a son but a marriage as well... That happily ever after went out the window...
You are a strong woman and mother... You are. One step at a time, one day at a time. One foot in front of the other...
Post a Comment