Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Relief

I want to feel something, anything than this weight I carry. I am tired. I want to stand in the sunshine and feel its warmth on my face. I want to feel free and happy just for a few moments. I can't remember the last time I felt that way. I just need some relief from this never ending sadness and loneliness.

I don't know how to reach out to those around me. I just need a shoulder to lean on when things get tough. I feel weak and ashamed. My life is a disaster and on the outside it looks as if I am picking up the pieces, but the inside is a gutted mess. I don't even know how to talk to people anymore. I don't know anything but sadness and survival. They talk about the usual random things and I have to resist the urge to scream out that my son is dead and my husband is a cheating bastard. They don't want to know and let's be real, it is humiliating to admit that I wasn't worth more than his two dollar whore. They don't understand the depths of my grief and anger. They can't see the little moments of hope. It is all there behind my forced smile that is trying to hide that fact that I am horribly uncomfortable. What the hell is wrong with me?

I need to know that it is okay that I cringe every time Monkey asks me if his "Daddy is picking him up". He is but a baby and doesn't know of his father's true nature. He loves him and so desperately wants his love. I want my baby to be happy, but I really hate his father. I bite my lip and tell him yes or no. I always acknowledge, but my insides are screaming profanity laced words. It stings to hear him speak of the man who chose to sleep around with his "girlfriend" while Monkey was so ill and needed him. I can't forget that and never will. M has totally let go of any guilt he feels towards his son. I guess that lets him sleep at night. I feel that I am the bad person, that I have done something wrong. I did what I was supposed to. When do I quit paying the price for his choices? I tried with all my might to do what was best for Monkey. When does this fucking nightmare get better?

I never realized being alone is so exhausting. I just want to be held. To feel that safety of knowing that someone loves you and thinks you are worth something. I feel like a worthless failure. I know that I have to find me in all of this. I have to love me in order to take the best care of Monkey I can. I am trying, but I still can't shake this. I can't let it go. My heart is broken and I am not sure there is anyway to repair it. Maybe I will always be broken and alone. Maybe it is that I need to make peace with. Maybe this is all I get. How do I learn to be happy and content when so much is missing? I love Monkey with all of heart and he does make me happy, but the void is always there. The little voice telling me that so many things are missing is always whispering in my ear. Even in the brief moments of happiness, it creeps in and steals away a piece of the moment.

7 comments:

Cibele said...

HUGS. I can relate to your feelings in so many levels. Being alone sucks big time, having to carry all the weight by ourselves it is exhausting. I forgot how it feels to have somebody by my side. Sometimes I get so angry that I can't just let it go and move on. I can't only imagine how much harder it is having to deal not only with M did to you, but miss you sweet boy. I hope that relief can come soon.

Sue said...

I am thinking of you and wishing you peace. I can hear my own pain in your words, and wishing that you will find relief, soon.

Wishing that wishing helped at all. Holding you close, in my heart.

still life angie said...

I am many years past my divorce, and we didn't have children, but I had so many similar feelings after many years of dealing with his infidelities. It was the anger. The anger. I couldn't sleep. I just raged. I had very good reason to rage, but it did me more harm than him. I don't know you, but I read you. I do wish I could comfort you, hold your burden for a few hours, give you the space to smash plates and curse this name. I just couldn't read and not comment. XO.

Once A Mother said...

Anger is exhausting. Grief is exhausting. Loneliness is exhausting.

I am new here but can see from this post that what your husband did was selfish, despicable, and unfair. It was just the worst type of betrayal and you are entitled to feel all the feelings you have towards this man. I have never been in your shoes of divorce, but I have been cheated on by an ex-boyfriend which was terrible, and I have lost a child - more terrible. I cannot imagine dealing with both at the same time. Sending you prayers for peace in your mind, home and heart.

Tash said...

I wish (wish) I could be there to punch walls with you and convince yourself to give yourself a wee bit of slack. You deserve it. You've been through a lot. Of course you're exhausted and angry, I don't blame you one bit.

I know it's hard to see at this stage, but your son loves you unconditionally. Hang on to that. Relief will come, it really will, probably when you least expect it in a guise that will be surprising. But it will come. In the meantime, let yourself sleep, let yourself cry, and please keep writing and dumping your feelings here. Know that we'd all hold you if we could.

Catherine W said...

I don't have any words today but I am reading and sending love to you and Monkey. xo

Val said...

It's maddening to think of all those wasted years in which you were played like a sucker. [Pot, meet kettle - I'm speaking for the both of us here]
I wish I had the answers; I still carry a red-hot nuclear furnace of rage which I call upon for strength & energy when I'm tempted to throw in the towel. I know I can outlast the bastard if I remain smart & cautious, & take care of my health.
Hang in there; your son needs you & most of the time that is more than enough!